Monday, July 26, 2010

FONDUE cupcakes...

My friend Krista's birthday was right around the corner and I had just discovered my new favorite chocolate cupcake http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/one-bowl-chocolate-cupcakes...so she was in luck but what should I do with that cupcake to make it for the die hard chocolate lover that she is?

Well...my sister in law (coincidentally also a Krista but with a Ch) had just sent me a link to the show DC Cupcakes http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/dc-cupcakes/ which I had spent sometime (probably too much) poking through and remembered their recipe for Three Minute Ganache http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/dc-cupcakes-three-minute-ganache.html which reminded me very much of the beginnings to a chocolate fondue that I make and share with Krista and her husband for our annual Christmas dinner...my cupcakista joo-joo is totally working for me right now.


So I hollowed out the center of the cupcake using an apple corer (what a great trick...learned that from DC Cupcakes as well!) but before I did that I put them in the freezer for a little while to make for a nice clean cut, which worked great and I know because I didn't work fast enough so by the time I got to the last few it was more fragile and messier.


I allowed the ganache to cool in order to reach a consistency similar to a pudding and filled each cupcake.  For the die hard chocolate lover I topped half of the cupcakes with more ganache and finished it off with a fresh raspberry.  I know there are some of you that would argue there is no such thing but even as a chocolate lover myself I was concerned that would be too much chocolate so I topped the other half with buttercream frosting and a raspberry. I think both came out equally delicious and beautiful it's just a matter of how much of a chocolate fan you are!  The true test however was what the birthday girl thought...did I deliver for a true chocolate fanatic??? I am happy to report she liked both but the chocolate cupcake with the ganache on top was her favorite!  Happy Birthday Krista!

P.S. These cupcakes are served best with champagne!!

1 comment:

Red Stethoscope said...

What a great blog! If there's one thing I don't mind more of in my life, it's cupcakes!

Thank you for revealing the secret for getting filling in cupcakes, too. I apparently did not see that episode of DC cupakes! Since I live in DC, here's an insider tip too (or maybe it's common knowledge, I don't really know!), apparently DC cupcakes had a secret word that they tweet everyday. If you visit Georgetown Cupcake, which many of my classmates do very often, and say the "secret word," you get that flavor of cupcake FOR FREE.

Who needs more cupcakes in their life? EVERYONE.